LoRa is a wireless technology that provides long-range, low power and secure data transmission for IoT and M2M applications. It is a chirp spread spectrum based modulation that has low power characteristics like FSK modulation. However, it is helpful for long-range communications. LoRa wireless is handy in connecting sensors, machines, gateways and devices.
LoRa Technology operates all around the world in different frequency bands. For example, it operates on the 865 to 867 MHz and 920 to 923 band in different regions of Asia. Moreover, it operates in the 868 MHz bands in Europe.
LoRa wireless technology basis
There are many key elements of LoRa technology. For example, it includes millions of nodes worldwide and LoRa wireless range is almost from 15 to 20 km long. Furthermore, LoRa wireless system comes with a long battery life that is enough for almost 10 years.
There are many factors that provide the overall connectivity and functionality to the LoRa wireless system:
• LoRa PHY/ RF interface
The LoRa Physical layer plays a significant role in system operation. It basically governs the aspects of the RF signals transmitted between the endpoints or nodes. The radio interface or physical layer governs aspects of the signal that includes modulation format, frequencies, and power levels. Furthermore, this layer also controls the signaling between the transmitting and receiving elements and some other similar topics.
• LoRa Protocol Stack
Likewise LoRa PHY, LoRa Alliance has defined an open protocol stack. It has enabled the concept of LoRa technology to grow due to different types of companies involved in LoRa’s development. As a result, LoRa protocol is easy to use, low-cost solutions for connectivity and other matters.
• LoRa Network Architecture
Likewise RF, there are some other elements of the LoRa wireless network. It includes system architecture, server, and applications, backhaul. So the term for overall architecture is LoRaWAN.
LoRa wireless system parameters
LoRa technology has an attraction for various applications due to its long-range capability. So it is very easy to connect a new node with the LoRaWiress less system. All you need to know the most essential parameters of this technology. LoRa Wireless system has various parameters. Here is the complete summary:
- Signal format: CSS is a signal format.
- Spreading factor: It ranges from 27 to 212.
- Uplink data rate: It is from 29 to 50 kbps.
- Channel bandwidth: It varies from 125 to 500 kHz.
- Downlink data rate: 27 to 50 kbps.
- Doppler sensitivity: up to 40 ppm
- Efficiency: It is 0.12 Hz
- Link budget: 156dB
Key features of LoRa wireless communication
There are many reasons for the popularity of the LoRa wireless system. Let’s dive deeper into the key features of LoRa wireless:
- Long Range: LoRa wireless range is almost 30 miles. So it is capable to connect different devices up to 30 miles apart.
- Low Power: Another most important feature of this technology is the least power consumption. This technology requires minimal energy. So the overall battery life is up to 10 years. Therefore, the usage of the LoRa wireless network minimizes the battery replacement cost.
- Security: Apart from LoRa wireless range, it comes with end-to-end AES128 encryption. Moreover, it features integrity protection, mutual authentication, and confidentiality.
- Standardized: This technology offers the global availability of LoRaWAN networks for speedy deployment of different applications.
- Mobile: Another key feature of this technology is to maintain communication with devices even in motion without strain on power consumption.
- Geolocation: It enables GPS-free tracking applications. Furthermore, it offers unique low power benefits that were untouchable by other technologies.
- High Capacity: This technology supports millions of messages per base station.
- Low Cost: It dramatically reduces infrastructure investment and the cost of battery replacement. Above all, this technology operates on the lowest expenses.
Lora wireless application in battery-operated sensor and low-power
LoRa technology is connecting this planet dramatically due to its lower cost and easy to use nature. It enhances businesses and improves lives all around the globe. You can utilize this technology in every walk of life. Here are some important applications of LoRa:
- It helps you to build Smart Cities
- Play a key role in a smart environment
- You can use it for smart healthcare
- This technology is very helpful for modernizing agriculture.
- It is further helpful for Smart homes and building development
- Moreover, it is a handy tool for industries.
- You can also utilize it for smart metering.
You might be thinking about why LoRa wireless technology is changing the world rapidly. To understand this, you need to know the different key features of this technology.
There are different types of LoRa wireless modules available on the market. So these modules have different usage and applications. Are you looking for LoRa wireless modules for intelligent agriculture, air quality or farming projects? LW002-TH LoRaWAN Temperature & Humidity Sensor is one of the most suitable options for you.
This module utilizes the LoRaWAN protocol for its working. It supports CN470 MHz, AU915 MHz, EU868 MHz US915 MHz AS923 MHz frequencies in China, Australia, Europe, and other regions. Moreover, this module comes with an 8000 mah non-chargeable battery. Moreover, the lifetime of this battery is about 10 years.
You can deploy this module in any type of environment. Because it is capable to operate from -10C to 50C. Moreover, it can proficiently work in humidity ranges from 10 to 90 percent. In addition, this module provides ultra-long range signal transmission capability. The data rate of this module is between 293 bps to 5.4 kbps. The max transmission power of this module is 19 dBm.
It can be easily fit in any type of environment such as urban monitoring, industrial, environmental, or farming projects. So it triggers an alarm when the threshold exceeded.